Thursday, March 17, 2011

I WAS WAY OFF



New Yorker dressed for warm weather in March
      I am currently in New York City for a quick 4 and ½ hour turn around.  Arriving at 10:15, I could not help notice the stark contrast between my apparel and the resident  New Yorkers.  New Yorkers  were wearing light jackets, no jackets, Capri pants, no hats and high heels with no stockings revealing bare skin between the bottom of their pants and the tops of their shoes.  Crossing Madison Park (between Madison and 5th and 26th and 23rd) I saw grass and the first crocuses pushing their way up.  And now for the final slap in the face – a line that lead to Mr. Softie.  Not possible.


      Upon driving out of my snow and ice filled driveway in Saratoga Springs that morning (with not an inch to spare between snow piles) in a down pour at 6am, I chose to don hiking boots, a long faux –fur lined vintage army storm coat, gloves and a winter knit hat. My upper half of my body featured five layers: my bra, my unnecessary camisole, my thankfully light blouse, wool blazer and ridiculous winter coat.  I was prepared and  I was way off.
      Normally, I do not pay much attention to weather forecasts.  If tornados, hurricanes or earthquakes are promised my ears prick up, but other than that I take the weather as it comes.  What can I do.  If it’s raining or snowing then I deal with it at the time.
      However, I think now I will consider the weather when travelling even if it is a mere three hours away.  I don’t need to be subjected to Capri pants, spring jackets and the annoyance of sweaty boot feet and carrying around my weighty jacket with no warning.  I think that if I had witnessed alfresco dining and daffodils, that would have put me over the edge.

      Next time, a  preemptive phone call to my mother –in- law in Brooklyn, would have done the trick.



Diane Lachtrupp Martinez as
Gluten Gal and Tango Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment